Mission Statement: H2O connects Lakewood youth with volunteer opportunities to develop a strong desire to SERVE the community. Nurtured by a culture of kindness, they LEARN valuable skills while helping others. The GROW into more engaged citizens empowered to make an impact in the world.
Looking out for the next generation
H20, Help to Others, is a service-learning Program for high school and middle school Youth. It is a collaborative effort of:
- City of Lakewood Department of Human Services
- Lakewood City Schools
- Our community Supporters and
- The amazing youth of Lakewood.
- Local and county wide agencies and Service organizations.
- This program is dedicated to strengthening and enriching this community by engaging youth in LEARNING, LEADING, and SERVING. Youth are given the opportunity to be active contributors to their community while building and strengthening civic and social responsibility.
For more about H2O, reach out to:
- Emmie Hutchison, H20 Coordinator, [ Email Emmie Hutchison » ]
- Amy Chodzin, H2O Assistant Coordinator, (216) 529-4169 [ Email Amy Chodzin » ]
High School Service+-
H2O offers service opportunities for high school students that are designed to meet their interests and schedules. They can volunteer for one of our original events, sign up for service trips to agencies, or connect with a local organization looking for volunteers. The program is flexible and allows for single event sign-ups, frequent participation, or commitment in larger projects. H2O staff members encourage community involvement and track and report hours to support student growth and development. Volunteering during these years is a great way to gain experience for jobs and/or college and to develop lifelong civic engagement.
Middle School Service Extra-Curricular+-
Summer Service Camp+-
H2O Summer Service Camp is for Lakewood residents entering grades 7-9; they will spend time performing service activities and team building activities. Trained high school/college aged staff counselors act as service mentors and guides for the younger participants. These skilled counselors supervise, instruct, motivate, and empower their teams of five to six campers through a rich variety of hands on activities and learning experiences.
If you are interested in being informed when the dates are set and registration opens for Summer Service Camp in 2024, please submit information here.
Summer Camp FAQs
Where is Summer Service Camp located?
The camp day begins and ends in the Cafetorium at Garfield Middle School. Campers can enter through the “flagpole door” on the south west corner of the building, facing Detroit.
What are Summer Service Camp hours?
Campers may arrive at 9:45 am. The camp day starts promptly at 10:00 am and is dismissed at 3:00 pm. On the last day of the session, dismissal time is 2:00 pm.
Who can apply to Summer Service Camp?
The application process is open to youth who are residents of Lakewood, regardless of where they attend school. Students who will be in 7th, 8th, or 9th grade in the fall may apply.
How does registration work?
We are using Eventbrite for registration. There will be a handling fee added to the registration fee.
Is financial assistance available for camp registration?
Yes, please call Emmie Hutchison at (216)529-6045 for more information.
What is HOME ALONE? An amazing peer-to-peer mentorship project and more!
HOME ALONE events are designed by H2O high school leaders and staff to convey important safety information to 9-12 year old students in an engaging, meaningful way. In order to attend HOME ALONE, students must live in Lakewood and be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian.
During each 2-1/2 hour training, students will rotate through six interactive safety presentations led by H2O high school leaders. HOME ALONE event topics include:
- Emergencies – How and when to Call 9-1-1
- Basic First Aid – What to do if accidents or injuries occur
- Tricky People & Street Smarts – Developing instinct and best practices for engaging with others and safety tips when going to and from school or around Lakewood
- Routines and Siblings – Establishing house rules and role-playing conflict resolution
- Internet Safety – Advice for maintaining positive, healthy experiences online
- Mental Health – Establishing practices that cultivate mental wellness
While students are engaged with the high school leaders, their parents/guardians will receive valuable safety information presented by local experts from Lakewood Police, Fire and EMS, as well as a cyber crimes against children investigator.
There is a Family Fee for HOME ALONE which covers the adult attendee(s) and all 9-12 yr. old family member(s) being enrolled. At the end of each event, families will receive a comprehensive safety manual published by H2O’s program partner, SOS4Kids.
Financial aid is available for families that need assistance in order to attend HOME ALONE. Email H2O at email@example.com to submit a request.
H2O’s high school leaders look forward to sharing safety skills with their younger peers!
If you are interested in being informed when dates are set and registration opens for HOME ALONE in 2024, please submit information here.
H2O In The News+-
- H2O Summer Campers “Choose Their Own Adventure”
- Remembering H2O Summer Service Camp 2013
- Lakewood Man Debuts Film Online
- Help to Others (H2O): Drops of Kindness Create Ripples of Change: Part Three
- Help to Others (H2O): Drops of Kindness Create Ripples of Change: Part Two
- Help To Others (H2O): Drops Of Kindness Create Ripples Of Change: Part One
- H2O’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- H20 Does It Again
- H2O Members Participate In Health Improvement Partnership
Want to get involved with H2O?+-Interested in getting involved or getting some additional information? Feel free to reach out to:
- Emmie Hutchison, H20 Coordinator, [Email Emmie Hutchison » ]
- Amy Chodzin, H2O Assistant Coordinator, (216) 529-4169 [ Email Amy Chodzin »]
Forms and more info
Make a Donation to H2O+-
Are you interested in donating to H2O?
You can click here, or checks can be made to The Lakewood Foundation/H2O and mailed to 12525 Lake Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107.
Find us on social media+-