Snow and Ice Control
City of Lakewood Snow and Ice Control:
The City of Lakewood’s snow and ice control efforts promote safe vehicular travel during the winter months. The City attempts safe passage on all city streets at all times. However, keep in mind that each snowfall presents different conditions that impact the snow and ice removal process, such as the rate and accumulation of snowfall, moisture content, temperature, time of day or night, wind direction and speed and the duration of the storm, with the result that no two storms are ever identical.
The City of Lakewood is responsible for snow and ice control for a total of 211 lane miles (i.e. Clifton Blvd has six lanes plus one turn lane = 22 total miles). That being stated, the city first responds to all main roads, bridges, hills and secondary main roads which must be kept passable to provide a safe transportation network to the largest volume of people.
Snow routes priorities:
- Priority 1: Plow Mains, Secondary Mains, Bridges and Hills – Frequent salting.
- Priority 2: Plow Residential Side Streets – Reduced salting.
- Priority 3: Intersection radius clearing and plowing attempts with several passes to open/clear streets in locations in which parked cars have moved.
- Priority 4: Haul heavy snow volume accumulation away from congested areas and/or certain intersections.
In the event of heavy snow storms, when the City plows residential side streets, residents are asked to move their cars parked on the street off the street, if possible, to give plow trucks additional room to plow. When the City does plow residential streets:
- The goal is to make residential streets passable.
- Plow trucks may not plow down to bare pavement on residential side streets.
- Residential streets typically are not completely plowed the entire curb-to-curb width due the high number of parked cars on the parking side of many Lakewood streets. We always plow to the curb on the non-parking travel lane of residential streets.
Click here for Snow Removal FAQs.
More Information about snow removal:
Most Popular Pages
- Downtown Development
- E-Newsletter Sign-Up
- Andrews/Gladys Project
- Lakewood Magazine
- Birth/Death Certificates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Snow Reminders
- Public Record Requests
- Biking Lakewood
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Public Art
- Food Trucks
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Accountability & Sound Governance
- Interceptor Tunnel Rehabilitation Project