Water and Wastewater Collection FAQs « The City of Lakewood, Ohio -
Photo Credit: Aerial Agents / aerialagents.com

Additional Information

Water and Wastewater Collection FAQs

Q:        Where does our drinking water come from? 

A:        Lakewood contracts with the city of Cleveland for clean drinking water. 

Q:        Is there information about the city of Lakewood water quality?

A:        Yes.  The most recent City of Lakewood Water Quality Report may be found on the city’s website by clicking here.

Annual water reports are typically issued to the city within six (6) months of the year end. Next water quality report expected to be issued by June one (1). 

Q:        How does the city make sure the drinking water is safe? 


  • Cleveland has a state-of-the-art water treatment process which includes multiple barriers to protect public health.
  • Water Quality in Lakewood is checked on a regular basis as required by the EPA.
  • Lakewood checks for: disinfection, disinfection byproducts, pH levels and orthophosphates. The last of which keeps contaminants from leaching from the existing pipe lines into the water.
  • Cleveland uses filtration, alum, powdered activated carbon (PAC), Potassium Permanganate and chlorine to remove and treat for natural and man-made contaminants.
  • Corrosion control processes to ensure no lead gets into the water as it flows through distribution pipes under the street 

Q:        If I am concerned about my water can I have it tested? 

A:        If a homeowner is concerned about the water in their home, they can contact Lakewood’s Division of Water (216) 529-6820 to obtain a list of Ohio EPA approved laboratories certified at testing water for lead. 

Q:        What does a sewer odor in my basement mean? 

A:        Usually this means a dry floor drain. If the trap seal is even partially evaporated, sewer odors can enter the building. Especially in the winter, add a small bucket of water to each floor drain about once a week. Other possible causes are abandoned or not used plumbing fixtures and deteriorated vent pipes on the plumbing system. These pipes may be exposed or hidden in the building structure. You may need to consult a professional plumber. If you smell natural gas or feel that there is a danger, call the Lakewood Fire Department. 

Q:        What if my water appears cloudy?  

A:        Cloudy water is caused by tiny air bubbles in the water similar to gas bubbles in carbonated drinks. After a while the bubbles rise to the top and disappear. This happens more often in the winter time. 

Q:        What if I have a concern about water quality?  

A:        The official numbers for water quality information are: City of Cleveland Public Relations at (216) 664 2444 and the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at (1-800) 426-4791.