Bike Licenses and Laws
Bicycle licenses, under Lakewood codified ordinance, are required for bicycles within the city. They can be obtained at the front counter of the Police Station (12650 Detroit Ave) or at the Community Police Ward Offices. There is no cost for the license. The person obtaining the license is required to bring the bicycle to register and record the serial numbers.
Lakewood Bicycle Laws 101
- Every person riding a bicycle upon a street shall follow all laws applicable to the driver of a vehicle.
- Every person riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk shall be granted all of the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian.
- No person shall operate a bicycle on a sidewalk at a speed greater than an ordinary walk.
- Cyclists yield the right of way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before passing.
- Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall ride not more than two abreast in a single lane.
- Every bicycle from sunset to sunrise shall be equipped with:
- A white flashing or steady light mounted on the front of the bicycle.
- A red flashing light and a red reflector on the rear of the bicycle.
- Every bicycle shall be equipped with an adequate brake when used on a street.
- Whenever any minor under the age of eighteen years operates a bicycle or motorized bicycle in violation, the bicycle may be seized by any member of the Police Department and impounded.
- No person under the age of eighteen shall operate a bicycle within the City unless the person is wearing a protective helmet on their head, with the chin strap fastened under the chin.
- City of Lakewood Dedicates American Rescue Plan Act Dollars to Public Safety Initiatives May 23, 2022
- Lakewood Conducting Exam for Entry Level Police Officer Positions May 19, 2022
- Atlas Masonry Along with Owner and Foreman Indicted on Charges for Lakewood Marine Towers West Parking Garage Collapse May 18, 2022
Most Popular Pages
- Downtown Development
- E-Newsletter Sign-Up
- Andrews/Gladys Project
- Lakewood Magazine
- Birth/Death Certificates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Snow Reminders
- Public Record Requests
- Biking Lakewood
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Public Art
- Food Trucks
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Accountability & Sound Governance
- Interceptor Tunnel Rehabilitation Project