Police Department FAQs « The City of Lakewood, Ohio -
Photo Credit: Aerial Agents / aerialagents.com

Additional Information

Police Department FAQs

Q:        How can I get a copy of a police report?  

A:        You can request a police report in a number of ways:

  • You may email the Police Records Room at records@lakewoodoh.net.
  • You can mail your request to the Police Department at 12650 Detroit Avenue.
  • You can fax your request to (216) 521-7727.
  • You can call the Police Record Room at (216) 529-6785.
  • You can come to the Police Department front counter from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday.

Q:        How long does it take for a police report to be ready?  

A:        Generally, it takes three (3) days from the date the information about the incident was received by the reporting officer. 

Q:        What do I need to do if my vehicle is towed? 

A:        Before the vehicle will be released by the towing company, the person requesting release of a towed vehicle MUST come to the front counter of the Lakewood Police Department with the vehicle title and/or registration in order to obtain a release form to present to the towing company. 

Q:        Where is my car impounded?  

A:        Kufner Towing, 3775 Ridge Road in Cleveland, phone number is (216) 529-3320.

Q:        What are the jail visiting hours?  

A:        Tuesday and Saturday from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM, Thursday from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM. Clergy and Attorney may visit at any time.

Q:        If someone is in your jail, what can I bring them?  

A:        Books, magazines, and underwear. Prisoners do not need money and any other items are provided.

Q:        When do I have to pay the parking meters? 

A:        Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM 

Q:        Do I have to pay the parking meters on a holiday? 

A:        Metered parking is free on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Fourth (4th) of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Q:        What are the restrictions on 24 hour parking?  

A:        Under Lakewood Codified Ordinance 351.18, cars cannot remain parked in a disabled condition or without using the vehicle in a normal manner, in excess of 24 hours.  

Q:        How do I get a permit to park in a municipal parking lot? 

A:        Call the Administrative Assistant in the Police Department at (216) 529-6750 

Q:        What will happen to my car that is in violation of 24 hours parking? 

A:        An officer will start a check on the car upon the complaint. In 24 hours, the officer will return to the car and if it has not been moved the officer will issue a citation and a notice about being towed. The officer will attempt to notify the listed owner. 24 hours after the citation has been issued, the vehicle will be towed and removed from the street. 

Q:        Can my group get a tour of the Police Station?  

A:        Tours are available by appointment.  Please contact Lt. Minteer at (216) 529-6781 or robert.minteer@lakewoodoh.net to set up an appointment:

Q:        What can I do about a car parked on my street that hasn’t been moved in a while? 

A:        Call the non-emergency number, (216) 521-6773 and tell the dispatcher the location, description, and license plate number. A patrol car will be dispatched, the officer will start a check on the car and after 24 hours may issue the vehicle a citation. The officer will try to notify the owner and after 24 hours after the citation is issued, the vehicle can be towed. 

Q:        If I call the Lakewood Police do I have to leave my name and phone number?  

A:        No, any caller can remain anonymous but providing the information may be beneficial to the officers for further follow up. Any information that is left does become a public record. 

Q:        What can I do about speeders on my street?  

A:        Contact your neighborhood officer or the non-emergency number at (216) 521-6773. The police will determine if it is appropriate to assign a police car to run radar on the street for a number of days. 

Q:        Do I need to register my bike and how much does it cost? 

A:        The Lakewood Codified Ordinances require every bicycle to have Lakewood license affixed to it. The licenses are free and can be obtained from your Neighborhood Police Officer or the front counter of the police station.  

Q:        When is the Detective Bureau open?  

A:        The Detective Bureau is open Monday-Friday from 6:45 AM to 10:45 PM. 

Q:        How can I learn which detective is assigned to my case?   

A:        You can contact the Detective Bureau Sergeant at (216) 529-6763 or (216) 529-6761. If you do not know the report number assigned to your case, we should be able to determine the detective by your name, location or date. 

Q:        Is a Detective assigned to every report?  

A:        No, detectives are assigned for follow up based on solvability factors. When those factors are not present, active follow up is not pursued. Should some leads become available after the fact, the case can be reassigned to a detective. 

Q:        If I am a victim of a crime do I need an attorney? 

A:        No, the Lakewood or County Prosecutor represents the victim of the crime in the criminal prosecution of the case.  

Q:        How can I obtain a protection order?   

A:        There are two types of protection orders: A Temporary Protection Order (TPO) and a Civil Protection Order (CPO).

A TPO is obtained through the Lakewood Municipal Court after filing of a criminal complaint, usually alleging Domestic Violence.  The TPO can also come from Common Pleas Court when the underlying offense is a felony.  Domestic Violence victims can request a TPO.

A CPO is obtained through Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court and does not require filing of criminal charges.  Generally, the CPO arises from civil domestic situations when abuse is alleged.

Violations of either a TPO or CPO can be enforced by arrest. 

Q:        How do I make a complaint about or commend an officer or employee?  

A:        Calls can be made to the Chief’s office at (216) 529-6750, or the Officer in Charge at (216) 529-6790. Complaints can also be made in person at the front counter of the department. The Officer in Charge will record the information about the complaint on a departmental form and it will be forwarded to the Internal Affairs Officer. An investigation will be commenced regarding the complaint and the person making the complaint will be contacted at the conclusion with the results.

Q:        How do I hire an Off Duty Police Officer?  

A:        Call the Officer in Charge at (216) 529-6790. The OIC will take your information and post the information about the job. If an officer is interested they will contact you directly and discuss the duties, times, and pay for the job. The Lakewood Police Department will not approve off duty employment for full time liquor establishments in Lakewood. 

Q:        Who is my Neighborhood Police Officer? 


Ward 1
Officer Neil Thibodeaux
14812 Detroit Ave #200 (entrance off of Detroit, above Deagan’s)
(216) 701-5331

Ward 2
Officer Ariana Zuk
14812 Detroit Ave #200 (entrance off of Detroit, above Deagan’s)
(216) 650-7419

Ward 3 
Officer William McCarthy
12501 Lake Ave
(216) 334-5657

Ward 4
Officer John Winters
12400 Madison Ave
(216) 333-6173

Q:        What is the curfew for juveniles? 


No minor shall be in any public place within the City except for attendance at school during regular school hours on any school day unless:

  • The minor has written proof from school authorities that he or she is excused from school attendance at that particular time or
  • The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian or a responsible adult selected by the parent or legal guardian to supervise the child or
  • The minor is participating in a bona fide approved study/work program during the hours of such study/work assignment or
  • The minor is on an emergency errand or conducting some other legitimate business


  • No child under the age of 15 will be permitted on the city streets, sidewalks, or public property between the hours of 9:30 PM and 6:00 AM.
  • No child of the age of 15 will be permitted on the city streets, sidewalks, or public property between the hours of 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM.
  • No child 16 and 17 years old will be permitted on the city streets, sidewalks, or public property between the hours of 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM

Q:     I need to be fingerprinted for a license. How can I obtain this?

A:        Fingerprinting is not a service offered by the Lakewood Police Department. There are private businesses in the community that do provide fingerprinting. The following link is provided by the Ohio Attorney General for fingerprinting locations: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Services/Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing