Temporary Express Parking
The current circumstances surrounding COVID-19 have increased an already growing demand for short-duration “express” parking zones as many businesses along our commercial corridors have added pick-up/drop-off oriented services as a way to adapt to physical distancing and other measures related to the pandemic. In response, the City of Lakewood has established the following guidelines and process for businesses to request the establishment of a temporary express parking space at/near their location.
- The temporary designation of these spaces is intended to support businesses located along a commercial corridor with no access to or use of a private parking lot, or those businesses for which the use of a private parking lot would impart reasonable difficulty or an undue safety risk to their employees in the operation of the space.
- Spaces will be established for the benefit of multiple businesses, not a single business.
- Designation is limited to one on-street parking space within the block (i.e. one space on each side of the street between cross-street intersections). The Director of Public Safety – upon consultation with the Police Chief, Fire Chief, Public Works Director, and Planning & Development Director – shall have the discretion to designate additional express parking spaces where there is need based on actual use of an existing designated express parking space.
- Upon designation, the express parking space will be in effect 24 hours per day, 7 days per week through the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency (as ordered by the State of Ohio). This designation can be revoked at any time under the authority and discretion of the Director of Public Safety.
- The Director of Public Safety – upon consultation with the Police Chief, Fire Chief, Public Works Director, and Planning & Development Director – shall have discretion to balance the benefit to Lakewood businesses while ensuring parking is safe and readily available for use by the general public.
- Contact the Department of Planning & Development with an email (to email@example.com) including the subject “Temporary Express Parking Request” and the following information:
- Business Name
- Business Address
- Business Point of Contact (name, phone, email)
- Statement of need that outlines the nature/operation of the business, impact of COVID-19 on operation, and justification/intent for use of express parking
- If the Business has available private parking spaces, explain why the private parking spaces are not viable for the provision of express parking
- Upon receipt, the Department will review the information provided, contact the business to discuss the request, and then prepare a recommendation for review and decision by the Director of Public Safety. The Department will work to process these requests as quickly as possible, in the order that they are received.
- If the request is approved, the Department will notify the Business and mark the selected on-street space accordingly (meter covered, express parking placard affixed) for the duration of the temporary designation.
- If the request is not approved, the Department will notify the Business with any clarification and/or recommendations as appropriate.
Questions on the temporary express parking guidelines or process can be directed to the Department of Planning & Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 216-529-6630.
Most Popular Pages
- E-Newsletter Sign-Up
- Safe Place Initiative
- Lakewood Life Newsletter
- Downtown Development
- Lkwd Park Waterfront Feasibility Study
- Interceptor Tunnel Rehabilitation Project
- Lakewood Magazine
- Birth/Death Certificates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Record Requests
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Public Art
- Accountability & Sound Governance