Where we are today
Lakewood City Schools, with a student enrollment of 5,100, offers excellence in programming from preschool through high school. From its 5-star rated early childhood programs to its generous selection of Advanced Placement and college credit courses in high school, every student is in an opportunity-rich environment. In 2017, the district’s seven elementary schools, two middle schools and high school all have been rebuilt or fully renovated in the last 10 years. The district also sponsors a community charter school, which in 2016 was one of only 7 Ohio charter schools to meet the “Exceeds Standards” on the State Report Card.
In addition to excellent public schools, Lakewood is home to a number of private and parochial schools such as Lakewood Catholic Academy and St. Edward High School, a private International Baccalaureate school. With 970 students and a 10:1 student-teacher ratio, St. Edwards has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
Other community partners offering educational opportunities include:
•University of Akron Lakewood offers degree options in Organization Supervision, Nursing, Social Work and Business Administration.
•Beck Center for the Arts serves 3,000 students each week through over 200 award-winning classes, programs, and lessons in dance, music, theater, visual arts, early childhood, outreach, and Creative Arts Therapies.
• Lakewood Recreation offers adult courses in basic computing, personal finance, homecare, arts and languages with over 380 education activities to choose from.
•Lakewood Public Library maintains main and Madison Avenue branches and has repeatedly received a five-star rating, the highest possible, in an annual ranking of the nation’s libraries.
The Screw Factory is home to small artist studios that open for shows throughout the year. The City named a Public Art Task Force in 2016 that made recommendations to promote public art throughout the city.
From major festivals to block parties, community gatherings are an important part of local culture. The city offers numerous summer festivals, which include Meet the Trucks, Summer Solstice Celebration, 4th of July Parade and Celebration, Lakewood Arts Festival, and the Lakewood Community Festival. Beyond these city-sponsored events, LakewoodAlive hosts a number of downtown gatherings such as the Summer Meltdown, Light Up Lakewood, and the Spooky Pooch Parade.
Want more information about these events? Call the office of community relations at 216-529-6650, or send an email to email@example.com.
Lakewood Community Events+-
- University of Akron Lakewood offers degree options in Organization Supervision, Nursing, Social Work and Business Administration.
- Beck Center for the Arts serves 50,000 annually through professional theatrical productions, creative arts therapies, and comprehensive curriculum-based arts education in dance, music, theater, and visual arts.
- Lakewood Recreation offers adult courses in basic computing, personal finance, homecare, arts and languages.
- Lakewood Public Library maintains main and Madison Avenue branches.
- Lakewood City Schools
- Lakewood Chamber of Commerce
- Winterhurst Ice Rink
Lakewood Human Services+-
Click here to view information on Lakewood’s public arts programs.